Construction of Legacy Way is progressing well at the western worksite at Toowong and the eastern worksite at Kelvin Grove in preparation for the start of tunnelling activities in mid-2012.
The first tunnel boring machine (TBM) ‘Annabell’ is being delivered and assembled at the western worksite, while the second TBM ‘Joyce’ will be delivered and assembled in the coming months.
Each TBM will be assembled within a custom-built TBM launch box, inside a large acoustic building at the project’s western worksite. It will take approximately three months to assemble the large steel segments of each TBM, including the cutter head, which is 12.4 metres in diameter.
Once launched, the TBMs will operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
About ‘Annabell’ and ‘Joyce’
‘Annabell’ and ‘Joyce’ are double shield TBMs which are custom-built machines able to simultaneously excavate and line the tunnel, while removing the excavated material from the tunnelling area.
The front section of the TBMs contains a forward moving shield which allows for excavation, while the rear section remains stationary and the concrete segments, which form the tunnel walls, are installed.
Once tunnel work starts, these machines will move at a rate of approximately 15 to 20 metres a day.
Transcity continues to undertake major surface construction activities at the western and eastern worksites.
In May, Transcity achieved a number of milestones at its western and eastern worksites including:
- delivery and installation of 25 oversized precast concrete beams for the tunnel’s cut and cover roof structures at the western connection
- delivery of the TBM main drive to the western worksite
- completion of more than 50% of piling work for the cut and cover tunnel structure at the eastern connection
- commencement of piling work of the lower ventilation station area at the eastern worksite.
In June 2012, Transcity will undertake various activities at the western and eastern worksites in preparation for the start of tunnelling in mid-2012. These activities include:
- fit out of the spoil conveyor tunnel, which runs underground from the western worksite to the Mt Coot-tha Quarry, including installation of services, and the conveyor belt, and concreting work
- final construction of the launch boxes for the TBMs
- ongoing delivery and assembly of ‘Annabell’ in preparation for tunnelling
- work underneath and to the east of the Inner Northern Busway to prepare for the realigned eastbound lanes of the Inner City Bypass at the eastern portal
- concrete deliveries and concrete pours at the eastern worksite as part of the next stage of the cut and cover tunnel construction.
Did you know?
- It will take approximately 90 truckloads to transport each TBM to Transcity’s western worksite.
- One TBM weighs 2,800 tonnes. This is the same as 280 Brisbane City Council buses.
- Each TBM is 110 metres long, about the same length as a football field.
- Legacy Way’s TBMs will excavate approximately one million cubic metres of rock and dirt, the equivalent of 400 Olympic sized swimming pools.
Your local community group can now tour the eastern and western construction sites. Please contact Transcity’s Community Relations team on 1800 778 772 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to book a tour.
Spaces are limited, so get in fast.
About Legacy Way
Legacy Way is a 4.6km road tunnel that will connect the Western Freeway at Toowong with the Inner City Bypass (ICB) at Kelvin Grove. It will provide an alternative route to local roads for traffic leaving the Western Freeway and travelling to and from the ICB. When it opens, Legacy Way will reduce, by up to 44%, the peak hour travel time of journeys from the Centenary Bridge to the ICB.
Working with you
Transcity is committed to minimising impacts on local residents during the construction of Legacy Way and we look forward to working with you throughout the duration of the project.
If you would like more information about the construction of Legacy Way,
please contact our Community Relations team via:
- Phone: 1800 778 772 (freecall)
- Email: email@example.com
- Visit: Legacy Way Visitors’ CentreLevel 2, 80 Jephson Street, Toowong