Eastern construction update
Transcity will move large machinery at Legacy Way’s eastern worksite in Kelvin Grove on one night in mid- June. While an exact date has not been confirmed it is expected to be between Thursday 14 June and Thursday 21 June 2012, from 3am-7am.
A piling rig will be moved from the worksite east of the Inner Northern Busway (INB) to the worksite west of Victoria Park Road. This rig is being moved to increase productivity and to ensure that Transcity completes piling activity as soon as possible.
With the new piling rig in place, Transcity will remain on track to complete piling in late July 2012. We appreciate your patience as we continue to undertake this critical work.
The rig movement must occur out-of-hours to minimise traffic impacts, as this work requires the movement of an oversized vehicle on the Inner City Bypass (ICB) and a single lane closure.
Traffic control and signage will be in place to direct motorists, pedestrians and cyclists around the works, as required.
What to expect
- Oversized and escort vehicles on the ICB.
- Traffic control to direct rig movement.
- Vehicles and equipment with flashing lights and white noise reversing beepers for the safety of on-site workers.
- Lighting towers.
Eastern site tours now available
Transcity is offering the unique opportunity for members of the local community and school groups to see the eastern construction site in person. Spaces are limited and bookings are essential. To book your tour, please contact the Transcity Community Relations team via:
- Phone: 1800 778 772
- Email: email@example.com
Achievements in May 2012
- Construction of the culvert which will provide vehicle access to the worksite east of the INB.
- Opening of the worksite access lane off the ICB.
- More than 50% of piling complete for the cut and cover tunnel structure.
- Piling for the ventilation station, east of the INB.
- Service relocation works on the ICB.
Upcoming work in June 2012
- Continued piling west of Victoria Park Road for the cut and cover tunnel.
- Out-of-hours concrete deliveries and concrete pours as part of the next stage for the cut and cover tunnel.
- Work underneath and east of the INB to prepare for the realignment of the eastbound ICB lanes.
- Realignment work for the eastbound ICB, including drainage installation.
Eastern cut and cover tunnel update
With piling on the worksite west of Victoria Park Road now 50% complete, the cut and cover tunnel structure is beginning to take shape. As detailed in the above diagram, piling and headstock construction is the first stage for the construction of the cut and cover tunnel.
The next stages include excavation and the installation of the roof slab and beams. This work will begin in July 2012.
Above: Eastern portal cut and cover tunnel area.
About Legacy Way
Legacy Way is a 4.6km road tunnel that will connect the Western Freeway at Toowong with the Inner City Bypass (ICB) at Kelvin Grove. It will provide an alternative route to local roads for traffic leaving the Western Freeway and travelling to and from the ICB. When it opens, Legacy Way will reduce, by up to 44%, the peak hour travel time of journeys from the Centenary Bridge to the ICB.
Working with you
Transcity is committed to minimising impacts on local residents during the construction of Legacy Way and we look forward to working with you throughout the duration of the project.
If you would like more information about the construction of Legacy Way,
please contact our Community Relations team via:
- Phone: 1800 778 772 (freecall)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit: Legacy Way Visitors’ CentreLevel 2, 80 Jephson Street, Toowong